Last weekend I only managed to find time for this unsatisfactory sketch, done in the late afternoon in the local wood.
It is done in conte crayon on heavy white textured paper (Stillman and Birn beta sketchbook). I was trying for a composition that showed the depth of the layers of foliage through changes in light and tone.
Irritated with this field sketch, I later poured water on it. It beaded and scattered across the crayon resist, carrying some of the pigment in swirls of floating dust. I threw on sepia, yellow and green ink. This was now spilling over the sides. I put thick card under the page to isolate it from the rest of the sketchbook. The inks threatened to leave the water repellent surface so I trapped them under a crumpled acrylic sheet and left this to dry.
The next day, the paper was lifted from the card by sharp dissection. I had to glue it to a new sheet to effect repairs where cuts and rips had penetrated to the surface. Now looking at it, I wonder whether to work back over this surface.