This large picture began as a layer of chalk pastel using a remembered images of a fallen tree as a source. I disintegrated that with charcoal, oil pastel and water. The skeletal remains of a long extinct mythical creature were overlaid in acrylic. And then I developed this further on the iPad as a steampunk cityscape, creating “The Ribs“.
Still, the real picture remained. I experimented with printing from paper covered with coloured oil pastel and overlaid with white acrylic, placed face down on my picture, and with heat applied. Initial tests suggested the acrylic would melt and carry the oil pastel onto the picture. It failed. The acrylic did not adhere and instead, the paint for the ribs was lifted off.
The next experiment was more successful. I took scraps of various papers, layered in oil pastel my desired colours and, on top, white oil pastel. Again, I used heat to print these onto my picture, creating the effect seen above. I worked into these with more layers of printing and then brought out contrasting tones with ink painted onto the resisting surface. I had to repaint the bones.
All in all, satisfying textures and strengths of colour on a dark background. There may be more to do on this.